Tare Egbedi published Youth Engagement Programmer in Volunteer with Partners 2014-07-13 16:41:59 -0400
Young Somali Growers is an urban agriculture program developed by Somali Immigrant Aid Organization (SIAO). Vision Young Somali Growers aims to promote and advocate for food accessibility and insecurity for Somali youth in Weston Mount Dennis. Mission Young Somali Growers exists to empower Somali youth and develop leadership roles in urban agriculture.
We intend to advance food accessibility and increase awareness of food insecurity for the Somali youth in Weston Mount Dennis.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Develop creative activities for at-risk youth (ages 15-19)
- Facilitate youth voice to empower them to take action
- Ability to engage youth boys who may have no interest in participating in any activities
- Facilitate and mediate youth conversation circle
- Record student opinions and interaction
- Record student attendance and absence
- Be on-site for programming activities
- Coordinate with urban agriculture youth coordinator in preparing field trips and activities
- Days: Monday to Friday
- Time: 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Summer program: July 7th 2014 to August 15th
- Total Number of Youth: 5
- The applicant must have strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Must have some experience working with youth in a leadership role, have knowledge in youth engagement
- Must be comfortable working with diverse populations of youth
This is an unpaid summer volunteer position with the potential of becoming a paid full-time position.
Learn more www.youngsomaligrowers.wordpress.com
1778 Weston Rd Suite #105 Toronto, Ontario M9N 1V8
Young Somali Growers exists to empower Somali youth and develop leadership roles in urban agriculture. We intend to advance food accessibility and increase awareness of food insecurity for the Somali youth in Weston Mount Dennis.