The second workshop in the YOF Capacity Building Series in August, 2015 Guest Facilitated by Patrick Warner focused on Financial Management for youth-led groups. The session aimed to develop skills with-in youth-led groups so they can utilize simple financial tools for non-profits and efficiently run their initiatives. This was achieved through knowledge sharing and live practice of financial templates.
Toolkit Learning Objectives:
- Become familiar with basic bookkeeping
- Practice using simple financial management templates
- Learn about financial reporting
Math isn’t everyone’s strong suit—that’s one of the reasons why organizing and working through finances can be so daunting. To make matters worse, for grassroots organizations with minimal resources, it’s difficult to afford accounting software, let alone an accountant. Microsoft Excel, however, is free with your Office Suite and can be very useful for organizations and leaders that are working to build budgets, track expenditures, and manage finances. This toolkit will guide you through some of the simple functions that Excel offers that can make all this money management easier.
• To use excel to create financial tools, templates, and tables (or revise someone else’s tools, templates and tables) to meet your needs
• To apply these skills to other aspects of your organization’s administration and reporting
Financial management can be scary. Building budgets and reporting on expenses is not something we’re taught in school but it applies in so many places in our lives—including our work at grassroots organizations! This toolkit provides processes and insights on how to make sound financial decisions at your organization based on your organization’s mission, mandate, and past experiences with funding. With these new skills you will learn how to develop budgets that will be realistic and ensure you’ve allotted the resources to deliver on your work in the community.
• To learn some key financial terms and what they mean for your budgets
• To understand and apply processes for building organizational budgets
• To utilize tools to support budget development in your organization